Friday 19 October 2018

Meet my new friend, Dominic the 2nd.

 This week I've finally decided its time to say goodbye to Dominic. 
I made him many years ago but he's had a bad year and he's lost his antlers!!


I fancied recreating Dominic in wood but feared it would be quite heavy and if it fell it could crush a child!!! (I come from a family that likes to 'over engineer')


So I turned to the large amount of fabric I have and a couple of hours on Pinterest.


Lots of sketching followed, with a bit of ironing, then lots of cutting out.


During the sewing was more trimming, lots of head scratching, ooh and I had to keep the family fed.


Late last night I made a sewing error and decided the day was finished and Friday would start with 'unpicking'.


Then stuff, stuff and more stuff(ing)


Two matching buttons, which should be easy but. . . . . . 


Finally we had eyes. (no more 'no eye deer' jokes)

The final sewing up required a piece of wood (for the enclosed back plate) and two small garden canes (to support the antlers).


So there you have it, Dominic the 2nd. I tried him in the hallway, but hes pretty big and I fear someone will knock him down.


So hes now in the front room / lounge.
I really love him.
Just think how great he will look over Christmas, I'll add a red nose and a bit of tinsel . . .
How many deer heads should your average house have? 
Because I really want to make some more . . . . . 

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, he is amazing. I LOVE him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love him too. He's pretty big, but any smaller and he would have been way too fiddly. Sarah

      Delete